Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Life of Purpose

"I expect to pass through this life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can to to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."                                                                                 ~William Penn 
I adore quotes. I really do. I find them to be inspiring, thought-provoking, and challenging. They bring the thoughts of another into your life. I have heard the quote above before,  but only recently found it again and began to really think about it. We only live on this earth once, so why do we waste it? I have found that many people (particularly those from 12-25) live life only for the moment. They often decide that a life of drunkenness, partying, and one-night-stands is "truly living". I beg to differ. In my experience, I have found that life is only truly lived when we are living for Christ. There is so much more fulfillment in living life according to His Word, rather than living for Friday night. As I've said in a previous post, I don't want to come to the end of my life and find that I have never truly lived. I want to spend each and every moment of every day radically and passionately for my Savior. I want to live a life that has a purpose. I don't want to be one of those people who wander aimlessly through life, looking for moments of pleasure here and there. I know where I am spending eternity, but I don't want to just sit back and do nothing until I get there. As William Penn said, I want to bless others. It is easy to see an injustice and think that someone else will do it, or to neglect it because others are there (technically called the bystander effect). So I have a challenge for you all, and if you decide to take it, I would love for you to leave a comment telling me about it. =) Here it is: I want you to go out of your way to bless someone this week. I know, you are probably like, "Wow. Hannah, I just don't know if I can do that. I mean, it takes a lot of effort for me to go help that elderly lady with her groceries or to take out the trash for my parents. You are asking a lot there, I'm just not sure that I can commit to a five minute responsibility." I'm going to be taking my own challenge as well. I don't want to "defer or neglect" an opportunity to bless someone else. I want to make a difference in the lives of others and maybe, just maybe, I can do that by doing something even as simple as helping with dinner when I am not asked to do so. We only have one earthly life to bless others and reach out to them, so let's do it with vigor and passion. I want to leave a legacy of love, peace, and blessing everywhere that I go. Because if we do this, then we can make a difference in the world that will have an eternal impact.

Blessings,
Hannah

6 comments:

  1. Hannah,

    What you said is very uplifting and inspiring, as usual. I know I haven't taken advantage of a chance to benefit other people many of time, mostly because I was afraid they didn't want my help or that I was bothering them. But I'll try harder now.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther,

      You're a dear - thank you. It's something that I think most people fall short in doing - I know that I do. To try is one of the hardest, yet most beneficial things to do.

      Hannah

      Delete
  2. I'll take that challenge, Hannah. This was an inspiring post, you did great!

    "If you fail to plan you are plannin to fail" - Mr. Lewis

    Jose Fuerte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jose! You are always so encouraging! =)

      Hannah

      Delete
  3. Excellent post as usual, Hannah! Keep up the fantastic work.
    I'm off to think of ways to help people. :)

    Zach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! Haha I love it! =) Enjoy being a blessing to others!

      Hannah

      Delete