Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Grass is...Greener?

First off, let me just say that Esther's latest post (Driving Myself Crazy) was totally awesome, and if you haven't read it yet, you need to do so. I hope that her writing brings as much laughter to you as it does to me. =)

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be someone other that yourself? I certainly have. Throughout my years of life, I have been a princess, an orphan, a traveler, popular, unpopular, and about a million other things. In case you haven't noticed yet, I have a bit of an imagination. =) When I was younger, I loved to "go" places and "be" different people. Even though I have grown up, I still travel all over the world, into a million situations, through books, and actual travel. While there is nothing wrong with having an imagination (it is part of us, created by God!), there are times that it can become a bit...extreme. Even though it is fun to put yourself in someone else's shoes, to sound cliche, it can lead to ungratefulness. If you spend too much time "in" someone else's life, or in imaginative fantasies, chances are that you will not be very thankful for your own life. Everyone has heard the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side". If you are like me, then you likely roll your eyes every time that you hear this statement. It's like "yeah, yeah, yeah. I know."  It's easy to look at someone else and say, "Her life is so much better than mine. Everything about her is perfect." Or to say, "He totally has it all together. I wish that my life were like his." It's easy to look at someone else and see everything that is good, because that is all that we are looking for (note* it is also easy to look for the bad things and be judgmental of people. Please don't do this either!). It is quite possible that the person who seems to "have it all together" actually feels like their life is falling apart. Maybe it is time that we look beyond our own problems to see that the grass is actually greener on our side. In my travels to Mexico and Ethiopia, I have seen a lot of poverty. I've seen a lot of poverty in the U.S. as well. We have food. We have clothes. We have a bed. We have a family and friends. Many people do not have any of these things. In both of these countries, I visited an orphanage. They didn't have much, but most of all, beyond each other and the caregivers, they didn't have a family. I met people who had watched friends slowly die from AIDS. I have been asked for leftover food because these children were so hungry. I don't know about you, but I don't wake up wondering if there is enough food for breakfast. I don't worry about dying because I drank unclean water. I think that we need to look beyond ourselves and our "problems" (I use quotation marks because our problems are often really insignificant), and see that our life is really good. We are extraordinarily blessed. Because if we lived like this, then maybe we would stop daydreaming about being someone else, and actually take the time to invest into someone who has less than we do.

Blessings,
Hannah

7 comments:

  1. Hannah,

    I love how self-aware you are. Your points are all excellent. What brought you to Ethiopia and Mexico? And, may I add, I love the cow picture. I LOVE cows! Especially brown cows. Thanks for the kind words at the beginning of the post. That meant a lot.

    Your Blog Buddy,

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther,

    Thanks. I went to Ethiopia and Mexico as a result of church/youth group mission trips, and I would go back in a heartbeat. If you all want to hear more about these trips, I might do some travel posts...? I'm glad that you like the cow picture; I always love to make someone smile. =)

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post as always, Miss Hannah. Your posts always make me look at life in a different perspective, which is great. I can't speak for everyone, but I wold love to hear more about your mission trips. It sounds very interesting.

    Keep up the great work, girls!

    Zach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Zach! I greatly appreciate your comment. =) In that case, I will be sure to make a post (or more likely multiple posts!) about my mission trips sometime in the future.

      Hannah

      Delete
  4. You have a good perspective on life, Hannah. Keep it up! I was like that myself as a kid. You did awesome job with new post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jose! I really appreciate your comments!

      Hannah

      Delete
  5. Great job Hannah. You really make one think. It's great to know that there are people who still care about those who have next to nothing. Yet again, another fantastic post.

    Kelsie

    P.S. I would love to hear more about your missions trips!

    ReplyDelete