Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Impact of Time

Oh dear! It's Tuesday already. I'm elated, as I finished my finals today, but I am also amazed at how fast time flies. There is so much left to do this week! I have to finish up my 180 days of school, clean the house, go to work, and pack for my trip (I'm leaving for Texas on Friday!!) - all among a million other little things. Have you ever noticed that there is so much to do, yet so little time to do it? When I was little, my parents always used to tell me how fast the day went by. I never believed them until I was about thirteen and a half...then it hit me. BAM!!! Time flies. I quite often tell my best friend that my life never stops moving and that it is traveling way too fast. It seems like only a short while ago that my youngest sister was born...she's nine now. In my life experience, I have found that many people hold onto things that are pointless and temporary. If we only have a short time on earth, do we really need to be wasting time doing things that don't matter? While I like to take a break and relax, I do not find that it is beneficial, or even enjoyable, to waste my teenage and soon-to-be college years. If I spend eight years on my life on me, then I just lost eight years of my life that I will never get back. Most people live to be around eighty years old...so in that case, I just lost 10% of my life. Yikes! As some of you may have already figured out, I am a big avocate for living life to the fullest. As I've said in earlier posts, I don't want to reach the end of my life, look back, and realize that I missed out big time. I want to love passionately, to live deliberately, and to dream daringly. I want to go beyond the expectations of my generation. Let's face it: adults don't expect much from us. Frankly, we deserve that. If all that we are going to do with our teenage and college years is party, get high on drugs, drink, and have sex, then we definitely deserve the lack of expectations with which we are labeled. However, I believe in changing this. I believe in changing the world.

Wow. I know - big statement, one that is used way too much. It seems like everyone nowadays is talking about changing the world. However, I have seen very few people actually do it. I don't want people to look at me and see a hypocrite. If I say that I want to change the world, then I need to actually do it. Jesus only spent thirty-three years on earth in human form, but look at what He did. He changed the world. Because He did it, I know that He can use you and me to make a difference. It isn't some crazy hard thing that you have to wait to do until you are older. A school lunch is like what? $2.50? That isn't much at all, but buying someone else's lunch will change their life forever. Yes, forever. Every action that you make has an impact - positive or negative - upon someone else. I can't change the whole world, but I can certainly change someone's world. I'm not going to live forever, so I want to use the short time that I have on earth to leave it a better place tomorrow that I found it yesterday.

Note: In case you couldn't tell, I'm big on the whole challenge-you-and-me-to-be-a-better-person thing. =)

So, I want to let Christ use me to make a difference. I want Him to work through you too. Because, maybe, just maybe, if you and I separate ourselves from the world and from the low expectations of us, we could make an eternal difference in the Kingdom of God.

Blessings,
Hannah

6 comments:

  1. Hannah,

    Yay! I can't complete my finals because my teacher has to activate geometry for me and she is out sick. :O I am painfully aware of how fast my time flies too. I hope I can work along with you and help create a good example for our generation. It really is about the little actions, the little things you do to improve people's lives. Thanks for the inspiring post.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther,

      I'm sure that you are a great example to our generation! I'm excited that we get to work together on such a thing! Once again, you're the best. =)

      Hannah

      Delete
  2. Wow Hannah, that was deep. I believe we can make a difference, and I know we can! Hannah, you are doing a good thing. I'm sure the people reading the posts, are thinking deeper in life, i'm definite you'll do a great thing in this world. Keep it up!

    Jose Fuerte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks Jose! As always, your comments mean so much. I don't know if it was that deep...but I do try to maintain my handle as the "Philosopher". =) These are just my thoughts on life. I have always been rather introspective.

      Hannah

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post, Hannah. You look at life in such an amazing way, you are a great person, and I know you will go far in life. It's nice to see that there are still people that actually care about their future,as well as the future of others.

    Keep doing what you do, Hannah, and let nothing stop you!

    Zach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zach,

      Thank you! As always, I appreciate your comments. They always make me happy. =)

      Hannah

      Delete