Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Stress of Anxiety

Do you ever feel as if life is filled with decision after decision after decision? I certainly do. Many decision are really "big" and important, such as where to go to college, what to major in, where to live, etc. Others are simpler, such as deciding what to cook for dinner, what book to read next (this one often presents me with a challenge because I usually have about ten books sitting beside my bed waiting for me to read!),  whether or not you have time to eat dinner with a friend...Some of these (like deciding what to cook for dinner) may seem pretty minor, but they still present a decision that needs to be made. I often find decisions to be overwhelming because there are so many to make. As I approach Senior year, where to go to college is a big deal for me right now. I have to weigh the pros and cons of so many different things, decide where I could get the best education, work through financial aid, and so much more. Just this morning I was talking to a dear friend and asking her if she was leaning toward choosing a certain college that she had visited. She said, "No. I just have no idea what I'm going to do." She knows what she wants to do, but she doesn't know where she wants to do it. This is causing her stress and pressure - such as many decision do.

Planning well can certainly help to reduce pressure and can make the decision process easier. However, there is a major difference between intentional planning and worrying. Let's take a look at what the Bible says about worrying:

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life,
what you will eat or what you will drink,
not about your body, what you will put on. 
Is not life more than food, 
and the body more than clothing?
Look at the birds of the air:
they neither sow nor reap nor gather in barns,
and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Are you not of more value than they?
And which of you by being anxious can add 
a single hour to his span of life?
And why are you anxious about clothing?
Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow:
they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you,
even Solomon in all his glory was not
arrayed like one of these.
But if God so clothes the grasses of the field,
which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven,
will he not much more clothe you,
O you of little faith?
Therefore do not be anxious,
saying 'What shall we eat?'
or 'What shall we drink?' 
or 'What shall we wear?'
For the Gentiles seek after all these things,
and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
But seek first the kingdom of God
and his righteousness,
and all these things will be added to you.
Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, 
for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.
Sufficient for the day it its own trouble."
~ Matthew 6: 25-34

"Do not be anxious about anything,
but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving
let your requests be make known to God."
~ Philippians 4:6

There are certainly more verses about the subject, but I thought that I would leave it at this for today. Just read through the words again and let them sink in. You don't have to worry. God is love and He has poured His love on you. He delights in providing you. We are often just so busy worrying that we don't see it. He knows our needs, and for the things that we truly need, He will provide in His time (this does not mean that He is going to get you a new iPhone, Macbook Pro, xBox, high def television, and your dream home just because you "need" it. There is a great difference between "need" and "want".). I do not have an answer as to why people are dying of starvation or from diseases contaminated from unclean water. It is hard for me to handle these despairing situations. However, I choose to trust that God is furthering His Kingdom through this in some way. 

Blessings,
Hannah

2 comments:

  1. Ahh yes, decisions, they are very stressful at times! Especially the decisions regarding college. Lately I've been really torn about what I want to go to college for.

    Great post as always, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they are! College is one of the biggest decisions that people our age have to make. I was blessed to be called to a specific area a few years ago..it is making my college decisions much easier. I will be praying for you. Look at your interests, your history, your strengths and abilities, and then dig deep and pray. The major that I will be studying is not what I would have chosen (long story, but God called me to a specific area of ministry), but looking back over my past and looking at who I am now, I can't see anything that would be better for me than this. Have hope, and try not to stress out. =)

      Hannah

      Delete