Thursday, June 14, 2012

Peace in the Storm

I love the beach. It is calming and refreshing. The gentle breezes, warm air, gorgeous sunrises...I could quickly get used to living near one for the rest of my life. The beach is a place where I can relax and just enjoy life (not that I don't do that other places). For me, the beach represents tranquility and peace.

Peace: cessation of or freedom from any strife or dissension.


Tranquility: quality or state of being tranquil;  calmness; peacefulness; quiet; serenity.
(*definitions courtesy of Dictionary.com)



The beach is a place where I can see the beauty of God's creation so clearly in place. It is a mind-clearing place for me, full of authenticity. I have been to the beach many times on family vacations. When I was younger, my mom used to take my sister and I out earlier in the morning to walk on the beach, watch the sunrise, and look for seashells - we often found a few crabs too!





We all need a break sometime. Life is crazy (I know, I say that all the time). Sometimes we just need to get away from everything and breathe. It doesn't have to be the beach; it can be the mountains, a river, a park, or even your room. Everyone needs a break now and then. Try to take a bit of time today to just rest and be still. 



While the beach is peaceful, it can also host huge, powerful storms. Does the power of the storm make the beach and less beautiful? Not at all, it is just a different form of beauty. I know many people who love storms and find them to be peaceful. Just because something is powerful and seemingly dangerous, it doesn't mean that it is any less renewing. To me, life is kind of like the beach. It has calm moments, when life is carefree (though for most of us, that "carefree" stage ends at about age ten, unfortunately) and tranquil. However, it can also be filled with the kind of wind that almost blows you over, intense waves, and pounding rain. While the beach is peaceful, we can simply relax. When it is storming, we often make preparations as to what to do if something goes wrong. One is often a wonderful break, the other a stressful situation (you know what I mean if you have ever been on the beach when a storm hits). However, we learn the most during the storms. It is the storms that cause us to be stretched and challenged. The same is true for life. Think about it: do you learn the most when life is easy or when life is hard? When do you grow the most? 

I really like canoes =)
Remember that the storm will not last forever. God is good, and look for Him as your refuge in the storm. 

"Weeping may tarry for the night,
but joy comes with the morning."
~ Psalm 30:5b

Have hope and remember that the trials will not last forever.

Blessings,
Hannah




2 comments:

  1. Hannah,

    Are you a metaphor master? Ha! And how on earth did you work that link magic where the link was actually a word? Thanks for working so hard in my absense. I will be able to post tomorrow.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther,

      Haha well, I don't know about that...I just like to look for deeper meaning in things. =) As for the link button, it is available when you are writing a post. At the top of the page with all of the buttons, there is a button that you can click which says "Link". I think that it is near the "insert a picture" and "insert a video" buttons...Anyways, just highlight the phrase that you want to link, click the link button, and add in the web address that you want to link to as directed.

      Hannah

      Delete