Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Volleyball Comets (And a Little Life Update)


Greetings and salutations my delightful readers. I love you all so much that I should write a song about your glory. This song would come in second only to the songs I sing about my guinea pig's glory, but can you blame me?

He's perfect.

Anyway, I thought today I would elucidate my volleyball experience. V-ball is starting back up in my humble life, which is very exciting for me. This is an interesting development because to be frank, as a wee lass, I despised volleyball. I always thought the sport looked boring and ridiculous. Oh, how wrong I was! Volleyball might be the most interesting sport to play and watch ever!

You jump.



You dive.










You smack people in the face with a raging volleyball comet--yes, it is brilliant.

I started playing a year ago, and I was terrible. One year later, I have trained, evolved, and ...


Well, I'm still terrible. But my Ocean of Terrible has ebbed off of the shores of Hopelessness, and is now lapping happily against the Jagged Rock of Bliss while the little mermaid sings a brilliant tune about love. I'm sad that I only have one year left of volleyball; it it has been a delightful experience for me. Let's focus on my experience this year so far.

Volleyball was my motive for starting to get back into shape again. This inspired my The Blissful Horror That is Jogging blog post. So yeah, my first attempts to get in shape haven't worked out so well.

But a few weeks before practice began, I started working out again, and I feel great. I still have a ways to go, though. I have trouble catching my breath during exercise. I have always suspected that I have a weak heart and lungs, and it is in my genetics to have them. So I have been working a lot more on my cardiovascular workouts lately. I am able to catch my breath a lot faster now, and it is wonderful to know that murderous chicken with a hoe will have caught me because I tripped, and not because I ran out of air and started flapping around like a fish.

Still, I die during practice. I often feel like I demand my body during workouts, but during practice it's taken to a whole new level. I particularly loathe the conditioning practices, which are spent running you into the ground. I also cherish them, because they make me work harder than I thought possible. Sometimes it is frustrating to not go as fast as the other players, or not last as long as the sprinters, but I know that I will only improve from here.

Well, except for the speed part. I think I'll always run like someone with slugs for feet. (I'm going to blame the botched foot surgery for that one, but that would be making excuses)

In terms of skill, I think I have improved already this season. My setting (propelling the ball with your hands) has improved quite a bit, and I have gotten strong enough to almost get the ball over the net when I serve over hand.

Almost.

It's a funny story, at least to me. You see, I have a tendency to grunt when I serve the ball. I mean really grunt. One time, my coach told me to serve over hand.

COACH: Serve over hand!

ESTHER: Sure, okay!

(Esther tosses ball in the air and prepares to slap at it.)

ESTHER: HRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAH!

(Esther smacks the ball. It goes four feet.)

If only my arm was as strong as my grunts. I feel like an unsuccessful version of a Williams sister.

But yes, practices are going really well. I am very happy to have made friends on the team. They are all like a family to me. I really look forward to progressing through the year with them. Some players have left, and I miss them terribly, but I will persevere.
At this point I would like to thank my coach for all the hard work she does for the team. She has a busy life outside volleyball, and she still uses her time to allow us to gather together to play this lovely sport. You inspire me to work harder coach, and I hear your voice whenever I get up for practice in the morning: "Drink plenty of water at least an hour before practice!"

Wiser words have not been spoken.
--------

In other words, my novel is coming along again, finally. Up to 40k. I had to cut some things out and start over again, but I think I'm back on pace.

I am playing Final Fantasy IX. I'm on disc three. Having lots of fun! I'm not sure how high I should level up for parts though, which is frustrating.

I'm also reading a book called We Need To Talk About Kevin, which is hauntingly beautiful so far. I will tell you more about it later.

I wrote a short story. It's terrible.

I have made three movie trailers in my head and I desperately wish that I could create them. But alas, I do not have the CGI technology.

And I have done a secret ritual called Kyrr'Tah. It's supposed to make the weather cooler. You'll see the results soon.

Don't walk when you can run,

Esther

4 comments:

  1. I liked this post a lot, Esther! It's always nice hearing about your experiences with volleyball. It really does seem like a challenging sport, and it looks like tons of fun. I've had a great time whenever you show me volleyball stuff (Even though I'm terrible) I really hope I can come to some of your games this year!

    Cooler weather? I'm excited!

    Do not walk.Do not run.Fly,

    Zachary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zachary! You are always so kind. It is a challenging sport, but I enjoy it. It's funny: you kind of seem afraid of the volleyball. Don't be afraid to bump it with your arms like I showed you. It actually does work. Yes, although if you come I would probably fail miserably.

      Don't walk when you can run, and don't run when you can fly,

      Esther

      Delete
  2. Esther I am thinking about joining the team but I am not sure...
    Hannah B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do whatever your heart tells you. I would love to see you there, and coach and the team would love it too. It's really a lot of fun.

      Esther

      Delete