Monday, July 2, 2012

Ash's Adventure





Hello, my little pikachus(Pikachu? Pikachi? Pikapi?)

I have kind of stumbled into a writing block of sorts. This happens when I get this far into a blog. Something in my head just explodes. To prevent myself from dying, I usually start writing some pretty strange things. Today, I was thinking about Pokemon for some reason. I don't usually think about Pokemon, because it's not like I adore it or anything. Still, it crossed my mind.

And I thought about fanfiction.

Fanfiction is writing a story using an existing canon (story universe). I used to write a lot of fanfiction when I was litttle, because I liked imagining what my favorite story characters would do in certain situations. I've grown out of it because I found out that making your own characters was a lot more fun and productive. The only fanfiction that gets published nowadays is Starwars and Star Trek and Fifty Shades of Grey.

Anyway, I thought what it would be like to write a little bit of fanfiction today. It would be pretty nostolgic, yes? And maybe it would jumpstart my creativity elsewhere. Really, all I want to do is play Final Fantasy IX right now, so I need to kick that in the gutter and keep writing my book.

So I'm going to write a little story. No edits, just fun. Let's see what happens.

I will use Pokemon just because it's easy.

Ash's Adventure (What A Title!)

-----------------------

The damp, musty science lab was ill-lit and cold. Giovanni folded his arms close to his chest, trying to maintain his warmth. The flickering lights above his head cast a bleached, white look onto everything. Winston, the pudgy scientist in a labcoat who never had a tan anyway looked like a sloppy snowman.

"Was the experiment a success?" Giovanni questioned the scientist standing next to him. Winston nodded, his comb-over flapping in the air.

"Yes. It is powerful, destructive, and unquestionably loyal. We will have no drawbacks this time," Winston said.

"Perfect. You don't mind if I laugh evilly, do you?" Giovanni asked.

"Not at all."

Giovanni let out a deep, malevolent chuckle that echoed against the dirty walls of the room. And then he let out another. This went on for a few minutes before he realized he should probably stop.

"Sorry," Giovanni said, "Habit."

"Don't worry about it. My habit is picking my nose," Winston said.

Giovanni tried not to make a disgusted face while Winston pulled out a small remote. The scientist pressed a small, red button on the controller and suddenly a tube lit up in the corner. The tube was of an excessively wide circumference, as to be large enough to contain the creature within it. The monster inside floated in some kind of clear fluid, which bubbled constantly.

"It's big," Giovanni said. "But will it work?"

"Once this Pokemon is released, no one will stand in our way," Winston said. He let out another evil laugh, although this one sounded more like a cat having a coughing fit.

The creature in the tube shuddered. Winston and Giovanni flinched.

"It is everything I could have asked for!" Giovanni declared.

"I call it Fletcher," Winston said. He saw his boss's questioning look and hastily added, "But you can call it whatever you want."

"How about Mew Three?" Giovanni said.

"Oh no, we are not going through that again," Winston said with a scowl.

"Right, bad idea. I'll think about it some more."

They regarded the monster with awe. Surely, this is what Team Rocket needed to once again dominate the world. Team Magma and Team Aqua wouldn't stand a chance against this . . . abomination. Giovanni took a deep breath.

It was time to be the main bad guy again.

"Do you think there is anyone who can stop us?" Winston asked. Giovanni pursed his lips with thought.

"There is one," he began. "But he has been incapacitated. I doubt he would ever pick up a Pokeball again. And if he does, I'll squash him before he has the chance to challenge me. I'll make sure of it."

"Do you know what he is capable of?" Winston asked.

Giovanni turned on his scientist, his expression made more menacing in the glaring light.

"Of course I do. He's my son."

                                                      ------------------------

Ash Ketchum awoke with a loud, glass-shattering sneeze. He covered his nose with a hankerchief in order to stop snot from spraying everywhere. Sniffling, he sat up in his bed and stared into the darkness of his room. It was black as pitch in there. Just the way he liked it.

"Pikachu?" peeped his longtime companion. The creature was somewhere in the dark.

"I'm over here, in bed," Ash called out.

"Pika pika. Pikachu--"

There was a loud crash as Pikachu stumbled into something large and easily breakable. Something fell over, and then another thing fell over, probably because of the one falling thing falling onto the other thing

It was like a hellish game of dominos.

Something fat and warm crawled into Ash's lap. Ash was pretty sure that it was Pikachu and not some obese gnome that was cuddling his thigh. He took comfort in that thought.

"Pika pika," Pikachu said.

"I know it's dark. I like the dark."

"Pika pikachu."

"For that to happen it would have to be made in China."

"Pikachu, pi, pi."

"I don't want to leave my room -- ow!"

Pikachu had sunk his teeth into the heel of Ash's foot. As he reached for his wound, the bedroom door swung open, and a massive shaft of light poured through. Ash squinted his eyes. The light was uncomfortable.

"Ash Ketchum!" his mother boomed. Her booming didn't really sound like a boom. More like a canary singing a little off key.

"Mom! The light!" Ash groaned. He saw his mother walk to the otherside of the room, nearly tripping on the scattered debris.

"It is a pigsty in here," his mother said. Her hand slowly crept to the thick, blue curtains. . .

"Mom! No!"

Light flooded the room like water flowing out of a clogged toilet. Ash recoiled, the light stinging his eyes. He fell out of his bed and onto the floor, writhing in agony, covering his eyes with his hands.

"It is two in the afternoon, young man," his mother said, her hands planted on her hips. "And you need to clean your room."

Ash recovered. He sat cross-legged on the ground. He picked up a stray sock with two fingers and glared at her.

"My room is perfectly clean," he grumbled.

"You are seventeen years old. You should be old enough to tell when a room is dirty. And do your laundry! Your underwear can't be clean!"

"I have a system, mom. I wear each pair for a week, and then I let them air out on clear days," Ash replied.

His mother just shook her head.

"What happened to the boy that liked to go outside?" she said, her lip wobbling. Ash picked up a pair of sunglasses and put them on.

"That boy died a long time ago, mom," he said.

"Maybe your ghost should go visit your Pokemon," she said.

"They would be ashamed to talked to me," Ash said.

"They love you," his mother said.

Ash stood up and pushed his mom towards the doorway.

"Well, I have lot's of things to do. Things to see and all that. I work at the supermarket you know. It's really . . . super."

"Okay then. But you must know I worry about you," she said. "For Pete's sake, you are actually completing your highschool education!"

"I know," Ash said with a sigh. He was the only one in the highschool. Everyone else had gone on to be Pokemon trainers.

"I love you," she said.

"Love you too," Ash said. And he slammed the door in her face.

He walked back to his bed. Pickachu walked over to him. Ash sat down and picked up the rodent, which he always thought looked like a really fat mouse with zebra stripes.

"Do you think I'm a failure?" Ash said.

Pikachu shook his head no.

"Of course you do," Ash said. He stroked Pickachu's ears. "We haven't been the same, every since . . . the accident."

Pikachu shuddered. Ash took a look a fond look at Pikachu. Two long, yellow ears, bright, black eyes, two cute little front paws.

And a prosthetic hind leg.

To be continued

------------

Well, there you have it. What did you think about my little fanfiction? Would you be interested in reading more? Sorry if I bored you. I actually had a little fun with it.

Go catch them all,

Esther

1 comment:

  1. That was pretty great, Esther! I'd definitely like to read some more. :)" Hellish game of dominos" ilI like that line, ha!

    Keep writing, silly butt!

    Hugs and love,
    Zachary

    ReplyDelete