Sunday, August 5, 2012

Life Update: Plays and Auditions

Hello everybody!

Sorry for the long hiatus, but I have been terribly busy. "Rules For a Knave", the play that I wrote and my homeschool performed, has just finished its run on Broadway!
Ha ha, joking. But we did perform it, and it was such a wonderful experience. I've had a busy day today as well, even though the play is over. I'll get to that.

Anyway, let's get to the summary before I fall asleep from exhaustion.

We have been working on the play for about a month. Not a lot of time to get a solid hold of a production, but our group was so wonderful we managed anyway. Our dress rehearsal was okay, our first performance was even better, and the second one was even better than that! It was great to watch the actors grow like that.
But before all of this, I was really scared. It wasn't until the final days before the performance that the whole thing was coming together. I was afraid that we wouldn't be able to have a polished show to give our audience.

And, I was afraid that the audience wouldn't like the play anyway. Naturally, when you write something, you want the audience to like it. It may be a vain wish, but it's a wish I had anyway. The first time we performed, the audience barely laughed at all, and I was devastated. The reception was still good, but what I wanted most was for people to be happy and laugh out loud. The second performance was much better. We got a lot of laughs, and I felt like the hard work that the actor's had put into the performance was finally paid off. I mean, when you're on stage and you're giving it your all, it means so much when you have an audience willing to respond.

So yes, it went very well. I am so proud of the actors and actresses who took part in this. This will be the last play I will share with some of my dearest friends, so it ends on such a bittersweet note. Still, I'm happy for the experience. The cast did such a lovely job.

We had a great cast party as well. We played volley ball and it was a lot of fun, but mostly we just soaked up being around each other. It's great being with friends.

After that, my family and I went home and I went to sleep! It was a busy two days, indeed! It is finally time to hang up my costume for Baljeeta Regina Flavorita Gorbachev. A sad parting, but my character will never be far away from my heart.

In other news, I auditioned for a play at the Community Theatre of Terre Haute today. It was for the musical "Hairspray". I enjoyed myself so much. I was really nervous, though.

You were expected to sing a short song, read lines, and learn a dance routine. When it was my turn to sing, I was shaking so bad I think I was vibrating on stage. Singing isn't my strong point, though!

After that we did learn a dance. I am so pathetic at dancing, but the choreographer put it in such a way that even I managed to learn the part. I had a blast! When we performed it onstage, I put my all into it. I wasn't as good as the others, of course, but I like to think that I had the most pep. (Besides some guy named Matt. He was a spindly bundle of energy) The director said that what they were looking for most was a great attitude, so I think I had that down.

We read lines after that. I totally got to say three lines! Think it will help me get a part? Ah, oh well. Even if I don't get the part it was a really good experience.

That's the update for me! If this post seems dry, I apologize. Seriously, you should see me right now. I'm lying on the couch like half-cooked pancake. So tired!

I hope you guys are all doing well. Sloshy, why don't you sing us out?

SLOSHY: Stand in the place where you live. Now face north. Think about direction and wonder why you haven't --

Okay, okay. That's enough.

I'll get Adele to sing us out next time.

Esther



6 comments:

  1. Esther, playing Baljeeta Regina Flavorita Gorbachev has affected your speech patterns. I thought we got plenty of laughs but that may have been the fact that I couldn't stop laughing long enough to pay attention to the other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It still affects my speech pattern every now and then. Yeah, the first time through, we got laughs, but it was through only a select number of people. I'm guessing it was you and Rachel mostly. I think the second time had went better.

      Thanks for your help, and for coming!

      Esther

      Delete
  2. Dearest Esther,

    I've missed your blog posts a lot! I'm glad you have time to blog again.

    I'm not sure if you know this or not, but I was extremely hesitant to act in the play. You are the reason I ended up doing it, and I'm so happy you convinced me! You're the best! It was a great experience and I had a blast spending time with you practicing and on stage. I will treasure the memories forever. I'm am pretty sad that it will be my first and only time on stage with you though. :(

    I'm glad you decided to go to the audition. I really hope you get a part, and if you do I am definitely coming to see you! Good luck!
    Oh, you have to show me the dance you learned sometime. What were your three lines?

    Thanks for taking the time out of your day to post. It makes my day reading them. Get lots of rest tonight, you deserve it!

    Hugs and love,
    Zachary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zachary!

      Hannah! Hannah! I think we got the longest comment yet! ;)Soon we'll have people writing novels on here.

      I was completely aware that you didn't want to do it, and I tried to get you to do it anyway. I just thought it would be a good experience for you. It was kind of selfish of me to do. I'm glad you did it, still.

      Ha, I had to post, or else we would never get readers again!

      Esther

      Delete
    2. Esther,

      Haha yes, I see that you got the longest comment! Think that we should have a comment contest? lol. Some of the comments could possibly get long enough to be a short post in and of themselves - providing that Jose and Zach stay around. =)

      Wonderful post and I am so glad that you had a wonderful time performing in your play!

      Hannah

      Delete
  3. Sounded like a nice play, you should do a play in Hammond one day :). Mentioning volleyball, we should have a one-on-one sometime (if we ever meet). From the sounds of it, it sounds like you've played volleyball for years. Hey, I can always use a challenge. Good post though, Esther.

    Jose Fuerte

    ReplyDelete