Sunday, June 24, 2012

Ethiopia Travel Stories - Part 2

Continuing on from my last post....

----------------
June 25, 2011
Today we went to Pastor ___ church, where we taught about fifty 13-14 year old children about the story of Jonah. They acted it out and were wonderful! We played "Red Light, Green Light" (game referring to obedience, which is a key issue in the story of Jonah). It went really well! Then we went to ____ orphanage. There is a little girl named ___. She is about four and a half years old. She has Hepatitis C. If she doesn't get adopted and treated soon, she will die. Of all the kids there, she struck me the most (obviously not physically, just to clarify, but in my heart). I couldn't touch her since she is contagious. It hurts so much!

Later,
We hiked up to the almost-top of a mountain today. It was a bit of a climb, but well worth it. We were able to look out over Lake Awassa. It was gorgeous! There were a bunch of kids up there and one had a machete. It kinda freaked me out...One of the boys picked me a few flowers...so sweet! We went over to a hotel to be near the water, and a group of Africans like "pounced" on us and forcefully took a group picture with us. Really weird....!!! At dinner tonight, we were waiting for our food and the electricity went off, then on, then off, then on. And there was a crucified monkey. Strange. (It was really, really bizarre.)

June 26, 2011
We taught at the church today. We taught the 4-10 year old children about the creation story - with moves to help them remember it. It was so sweet! Then we went to the church service. Jerry (my pastor, who happened to be leading the trip) was sharing on Ephesians 4:11-16. It was really goof! The worship is amazing!!! There are so passionate! It is a great experience! =) We went to lunch and then to the orphanage. I loved played with ___, ___, ____, and ____. Them, we went to see the new orphanage (as of the time that we were there, they were going to move locations soon), which was cool. But we went to Lake Awassa and went out on a boat and saw about 12 hippos!!! Sweet! =) I got to re-email my dad at Hotel Pima, which was really good!

June 27, 2011
I am in the van heading back to Addis. I really liked Awassa. It was so peaceful. It's clean and the people are friendly. I love driving through the little towns. We are about forty minutes north of Ziway - our lunch stop. We are driving through a little town right now. I love seeing the people who walk everywhere and spend time just talked to others. 

Later,
Well it poured. There is flooding. We are waiting to cross a bridge while the water is gushing underneath it. Everywhere is like a river. I seriously thought that we might go over the edge and get swept away. We are okay now. I got slightly dramatic...(everyone was kind of freaked out - not just me)

Later still,
We went to ___ house tonight. They fixed us traditional Ethiopia food, which including special dished. They also "performed" a traditional bunna (coffee) ceremony for us. It was really sweet! I'm exhausted though; I really need to sleep! So....

June 28, 2011
We have hot water here! (Previously, the water was ice cold at the guest house. Basically, it is either freezing or burning, and the temperature fluctuates even when you don't move the nozzle. So either way, your shower is about 3-4 minutes long and you are huddled in the very corner - of a less than 3x3 shower - trying to stay out of the water.) And the shower leaks like crazy!! I spend a good 20 minutes mopping i[ the floor. We head to Gedo this afternoon. We will see where this adventure leads us....

Later,
We made it to Gedo. Which is good. We are the first and only guests at the hotel (they opened early for us and were still doing construction and painting while we were there). Honestly, I am kinda afraid of burglary or/and rape (Josh, who had been here before did not help this feeling in us - others felt the same way - by his comments)....Obviously, I am not trusting God like I should be. There are an insane about of bugs. It stormed, majorly, for a little while and the electricity went out. So I really need to trust God. 

June 29, 2011
Well I made ti through the night. I am fine. There were a few slamming doors, prayer calls (there is a good sized Muslim population in Ethiopia), and screams (also, perhaps a dying cow....Korie and I are certain that we were near a butchers), oh! and moths but it was fine! Korie slept about 2 hours; I slept 4 1/2 - 5 hours. We are all tired today, but the teaching is going well. Korie and I both kept waking up. At like 4AM< she was standing on the end of our bed with a flip-flop and a flashlight trying to kill a moth (she is afraid of birds, and, in her mind, moths are somewhat similar). It was pretty funny, though she was seriously freaked out. 

The teaching this morning went well. ___ said that it went really well. We have about 67 teachers. They represent 9 communities. They do not have Sunday school as of now, but have a desire to start. They are very active and participate. They answer questions and discuss. It's great!

June 30, 2011
The last day of June. The year is half over. My life is flying by! It seems like each individual day is long, but then you look around and it is gone. Life is so short. How we spend each day is vital. Time is precious. Time is precious (Yes, I meant to repeat that). Once it's gone, you never get it back. Each day that I like is momentary, w, when I compare it to the big scheme of life. We spend three days teaching in  Gedo, two days in Addis, one day in Awassa - all that we can do is hope (and pray!) that it makes some sort of impact. We may never know, but we have to have faith that God will carry what we are doing through to completion. 

Later, 
Well they started praying shortly after we arrived this afternoon. They felt and attack and there was a very intense time of prayer for about forty minutes. I got the chills (feeling the presence of the Holy Spirit) every once in a while. Right now, CJ is talking about learning techniques for ages 13-16.

The days that we teach are usually very uneventful. There is not much to tell about sitting in a chair for 6 hours. =( It's hard to look beyond the dreariness of today to see the success of the future. 

Later,
The little kids that live near the Bible school came inside and worshiped with us today. It was sweet!!! =) I was so pumped to see the adults/teacher let them inside the building! (Children are not well respected in Ethiopia.)

-----------------
Well, I will probably conclude this mini series in one, many two, more posts. I hope that you are enjoying having me relive my memories. =) If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. =)

Blessings,
Hannah








2 comments:

  1. Hannah,

    Wow, I ate this up! You had such an extreme experience. To be honest, I don't think I would ever have the courage to go out and do what you did. You are very honorable and kind.
    That crucified monkey gave me a story idea! Thanks. ;)

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther,

      Awesome! It was a bit extreme at times, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I learned so much. We often say that we would never be able to do something only because we are afraid of where it might lead. You could do it if you felt the call on your heart to go. Than you.

      As for the crucified monkey...well, I'm glad that I could spark your imagination. It was very, very bizarre and kind of freaked us out because it was near the center of town, right next to the hotel where we ate dinner that night. You're welcome. =)

      Hannah

      Delete